History of Gujarat
Surendranagar
Surendranagar
No significant information is available about the past history of this District. But it is but possible that this region was under the control of the other traditional dynasties ruling over the other regions of the Gujarat state. After the mobilization of the states the now Surendranagar district was called Jhalawad. The present district which is called Surendranagar, was the head quarter of the British political agent. Political agents left from the Wad van camp and returned it to the ruler of Wad van in the year 1946 A. D. There after it was named Surendranagar again in 1947 as per the name of the past king of Wad van, Surendrasinhji. Since 1948, Surendranagar has remained as the main centre of the district. Surendranagar is one of the districts of the Saurashtra sub state.

Architectural research has been done on a small scale in the district and some places of pre historical habitation are found. In the year 1957 – 58 some equipments of the era after the stone-age are found from Sejakpur in Sayala taluka. This depicts the culture of the era after the stone-age which had the economy, principally, of the hunters and fishers. The equipments used by the people at the start of the mythological era are also found from this district.

It will be very interesting to analyze the rulers’ history of some of the village regions of this district. Surendranagar district was made up of the states and Jagirs like Dhangadhra, Wad van, Lakhtar, Sayala, Chuda, Mulee, Bajana, Patadi etc. and the centres like Vanod, Vitthalgarh, Jainabad, Rajpura, Anandpur, Chotila, Bhoika, Jhinjhuwada, Dasada and Raysankali. All these states and Jagirs were included in the earlier Saurashtra state and became the part of the Jhalawad district.